Are you looking for 25 habits that will make you more organized? Look no further. I’ve compiled a list that will change your life – and keep you organized. Looking to simplify your life? Let’s get started.
1.Unsubscribe from junk email – I don’t know about you but I get lots of emails. So much junk! You can use a website called unrollme.com to quickly delete you from unwanted subscriptions or you van spend a few hours doing it yourself. Whichever you chose – you’ll be amazed at the results. Less junk, less clutter.
2.Clean out your purse - You’ve got clutter in there, trust me. Dump everything out and have a good look. Bonus if you organize what’s left over into some sort of pouch or organizer. Bonus tip – I have a pouch that I put receipts directly in. They don’t get lost in the bottom of my purse.
3.Clean as you go – Instead of waiting for your home to get dirty and having to spend hours cleaning it…just do a little here and there. The more you do, the quicker it will take. Tasks won’t pile up.
4. Meal Prep / plan – Meal planning is key to organization. It cuts down on food waste and builds up nutrition. Meal prep goes hand in hand with this – you prep a few meals, take an afternoon, and have meals for days.
5. Organize your digital life - create folders that are intuitive so you don’t waste time searching for things you need on your computer. Delete unwanted files and junk that is stored on your computer. There can be clutter there too!
6.Buy furniture with storage – Hello functional furniture ! I love a good ottoman with storage. Think baskets and cabinets with lots of space. Furniture can do double duty.
7. Set up a cleaning schedule – Designate different days when you vacuum, dust, do laundry, etc. You can stick to a plan and make it a habit – things will get done regularly and be easier to do.
8.Declutter your closet -keeping your closet decluttered and streamlined helps you look better and get ready faster. Also – the closet is one of the biggest pieces in your bedroom, keeping it organized keeps the whole room tidy.
9. Create a daily to do list – I like to recommend a top 3 for the day then brain dump the rest. No matter how overwhelmed you get, you can do 3 things! I believe in you.
10. Have backstock (extras of things) – Don’t run out of TP or contact solution…when you really need it. But don’t go crazy. Have one or two things in your backstock that you can relay on. But don’t hoard. It’s about balance.
11. Lay out your outfit the night before – I love this one – I actually do my full week beforehand. Laying out your outfit saves time in the morning. End of story. Save time. Save decisions. Save morning drama.
12.Save your passwords in one place – I’m constantly losing and forgetting my passwords. Save yourself the drama and save them in one place – maybe a spreadsheet on the computer.
13.Declutter your phone (goodbye unused apps) – Do you download apps that you think will change your life and then never use them? Guilty! If you have a ton of unused apps on your pone its ok to delete them…clear the clutter on your screen.
14.Keep an emergency kit in your car – My best friend once got stuck during a snow storm on a highway for 12 hours! If she had had an emergency kit with a couple of bottles of water, a few snacks, a first aid kit and some meds… it might have been a more pleasant experience. Take my advice and stock a kit.
15.Get a spice organizer – Don’t live in spice chaos. I recently found an organizer that hangs on your fridge so it frees up counter space. I use one that fits in my cabinet. Whatever you use, label – label – label.
16. label everything – Speaking of labeling. If you live with other people and establish an organization routine, you have to tell them about it. The best way is to label things so people are empowered to use the systems. Get a label Maker
17.clean out your wallet – I recently poured out all my change that I had been carrying around in my wallet. My purse is 40lbs lighter. Kidding. But seriously. File receipts, take out change. Streamline your wallet so it can work for you.
18. Set up a drop off zone in your home – A place for your keys, bag, shoes, etc when you come in. Think bin, basket – even bucket! Just placing your stuff in the same place every time will create a routine.
19.Declutter and stock your medicine cabinet - you never know when you’ll get sick and the last thing you need is out of date meds! Flu season is coming, make sure you medicine cabinet is stocked with what you might need.
20.Set alarms and reminders on your phone / Alexa – This is a game changer. Set a 10 minute tidy on your phone once a day. Think of other habits and routines you can automate through technology.
21. Keep your desk organized – It’s easier to be productive during work time if your desk is not a mess. Also consider “resetting” your desk after you are done working so it is ready to go the next time you sit down.
22. Schedule regular appointments in advance (hair color every 6 weeks!) – I bring my planner with me everywhere I go so I can set up my regular appointments. You are going to get your roots done every 6 weeks…why not schedule it ahead of time to avoid the greys. Schedule kids’ physicals a year in advance. You get the idea.
23.Make your bed every day - The bed is biggest piece of real estate in your bedroom so if it is messy then your room is messy. Take a few minutes every morning and reset your room.
24. Keep a gym bag stocked and ready to go – I avoid going to the gym at all costs. But if my bag is packed, its one less excuse I have. Lay out your work out clothes, pack what you need, set it by the door and head to the gym!
25. Track your finances – Organization can extend to your finances and should. I have a great app that tracks all my credit card spending and helps me keep an eye on my bottom line. Find what works for you, but track!
whoooo - what a list ! what resonates with you? I'd love to hear! My favorite is to set reminders on Alexa - mine manages my life!! Big ol thank you to my brother who gave me my Alexa last year for Christmas...it's a game changer.
Bliss This House is chock full of good ideas like these to help everyone get more organized. Have questions about anything on this list? Drop a comment and let’s talk!